Sunday, December 27, 2009

Dreaming and Schizophrenia

Hello all... I wanted to talk about dreaming when it comes to schizophrenia.... I don;'t know about "regular" dreamers out there, but it seems to me that dreaming while living with schizophrenia is an interesting thing.  I say thi because last night I had a dream, within a dream, within a dream.  and it all had to do with when I was in psychosis.  It was like reliving the psychosis all over again.  But I was dreaming, aware I was dreaming, and in my awareness of my dresm, the dream I was in I was also aware that I was in a dream .  A ream, within a dream, within a dream.  Anyway, my point is, when a person has schizophrenia, sleep is important, as for others as well, as it is the time when the brain sorts itself out, discards useless information, and organizes.  When you do not get enough sleep, or are under stress and anxiety, like many with schizophrenia are, you begin to seee signs of symptoms recurring.  That being said , back to dreaming.  I was re-living some of the issues I experienced while in psychosis, and I was aware that I was dreaming this, and I was "watching" myself in psychosis, and it was scary.  I was sure that It was a dream, as I must have been half awake, and I also got very little sleep, so I was having issues in the night.  You see, I have come to learn that at certain times of the night, my brain, in particular, goes through a particular process.  There is the organizing process, then the, what I call, the "reel" process, which is this never ending continuous tape recorded like part of my brain that repeats things over and over again.  So I have come to learn that my brain is almost like a circular rainbow.  Each layer does something different, simultaneously.  I know, I know, this all sound confusing, and in later posts, I will try to explain them in better detail.  But for now, what I am getting at, is during sleep, these "rings" of my brain are processing all sorts of information, and I hear songs from out of nowhere, then I hear a commercial maybe, or just a word here or there, etc.  I DO NOT hear these things during the daytime, except for the continuous"reel" of music, which in my mind there is always a song playing, and it could be anything.  So I have like a personal MP3 player in my head, expcept that sometimes it is the same song over and over again, which can be annoying. However, sleeping with schizophrenia is essential for all of the brain processes to function, as I believe we need more organization than that of a "normal" brain.  Dreaming, also helps us to organize, analyze, understand, and more, our thoughts, deepest feelings, fears, etc., and also I am certainthat dreaming bring out issues and feelings we do not experience in our daily awakened schizophrenia life.  This may be due to the fact that the issues are too frightening so we avoid them, it could be medication, I am unsure, as i am still researching this topic.  Reagrdless, just know that sleep, and dreaming are essential for especially the schizophrenic brain.  I will post more on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment