Thursday, January 7, 2010

Living with Schizophrenia... Tips, Information, and the Family

Living with schizophrenia is not an easy task.  It is difficult not only for the person afflicted, but also can be, and often is, for family members as well.  There are adjustments to be made, coping with the challenges of the illness, making sure the family is secure, and even making plans for the future. 
Being diagnosed with schizophrenia is quite scary, however, it does not mean that your life is over, that your future is hopeless, or that life is "over".  At the very least, now diagnosed, one can begin to accept that they have the illness, and begin to understand the reasoning behind irrational, and sometimes, downright frightening, behaviors, feelings, and actions.  As there are continually new treatments available, and treatments that have worked for years, there is hope and there can be happiness.  I should know.  I am schizophrenic, paranoid type, if you do not already know this.  I first thought of myself as a victim, went through the "why me's", and so forth, but then, over time, came to the realization that, well, this is something I have to live with, accept, and make the best of to the best of my ability.  Yes, there are limitations.
Many people afflicted, such as myself, are unable to work, are disabled, are deficient in certain areas, have symptoms, etc., however, that does not make us "stupid, lazy, or crazy".  In factm many schizophrenics are borderline genius and excel in many areas.  However, there is a disconnect that happens between society and those afflicted.  When people in society hear you are living with schizophrenia, many of those people assume the worst.  This is something that has to be accepted, and realize that it is just misinformation, incorrect judgement, and the like.  The fact is, true acceptance is the real key when living with schizophrenia.  Once this fact is accepted by the afflicted person, he/she can begin the healing, learning, and living process.
There are obviosly "levels" of the illness, meaning, that for some, the illness is almost or completely debilitating.  Some who are schizophrenic are unable to take care of themselves, shower, bathe, cook, work, etc.  For others, it is more mild, even to the point where it is like they do not have the illness at all (generally, this is due to the use of medications, treatment plans, and, well, some are just not afflicted as harshly as others).  For many of us, and this is pure opinion, we are somewhere in the middle of the two.  Yes, I shower, clean, do take college courses, read, etc., however, I DO have limitations, as being unable to work, social phobias, lack of interest at times, serious cognitive issues, emotional issues, and some physical issues as well.  However, this does not mean i am completely unable to function.  There are some who are completely unable to function without assistance.  As for myself, I have a case manager, psychiatrist, psychologist, and other treatments that I take full advantage of, and it has taken quite a while to get to where I am after my last , and I mean last (I say that with ultimate hope and faith), hospitalization, which was 2 years ago.  I am unable to work because I cannot cognitively concentrate on a task for the amount of time it takes required for a job, also I have social issues, and also symptoms that I cannot always control.  Some of these symptoms show up unexpectedly, other symptoms, such as my extreme anxiety, are almost like clockwork.  I know, at certain times of the day, I have extreme paranoia and anxiety.  I have learmed this through time.  As far as schooling, I am 37 years old, and take classes at the local community college.  I do this, because I am able to choose the times I can actually take the classes, and I always have the option to leave or take the semester off if I am having more than usual difficulties with my illness.  Also, I do not overload myself, I take one or two classes, maybe more, depending, however, when I take more than that, i end up dropping some because of my illness.  No, I do not use my illness as an excuse, rather, I know my limitations.  I have tested the waters.  I have taken many classes at once, and had to drop them.  The pressure, socialization, symptom management, was too much for me.  Over time I have learned to pace myself, and with the guidance of my treatment team, which is an ongoing situation, I have been able to set goals and limitations for myself. 
Previous to the last two basically stable years, I was in very bad shape.  In and out of hospitals, doctor and medicine changes, psychosis... all of the very difficult issues that accompany schizophrenia.  I am thankful to be hospital-free for two years now.  Though I am disabled, I am not "wasted talent" (taken from the movie, A Bronx Tale...If you have not seen it, I recommend it, it is not a movie about schizophrenia, however, that is where I got that two word phrase...).  I am able to write this blog, and to me that is essential, as education, support, and management of the illness is essential to the schizophrenic, as well as the family members of the schizophrenic. 
The best thing to do, if you or a loved one is diagnosed or living with schizophrenia, is to be positive, optimistic, and realistic.  Not every day will be a great day, and that may sound a bit pessimistic, but it is REALISTIC.  Symptom flare-ups are quite common, and cognitive issues can hinder many things at times, and there will be days where you have no interest or motivation to do anything.  Fear not, because, this too shall pass.  I like to refer to this as cycling, it may not be the perfect word, because it is not always cycling, but that is what I find it to be most closely related to.  It is like climbing mountains...there are peaks, valleys, flatlands... it is hard to pinpoint the way things happen, they just do.
As a schizophrenic, I will say this.... Life IS what you make of it. If you can accept the illness, embrace it, and know that it is a life-long illness, but there are treatment options to help with many of the symptoms (though there is no cure at the time of this writing...), there are options that are available as well.  Learn your ups and downs, recognize when you have flare-ups, even keep a journal if you are motivated to do so.  It is all a matter of perspective.  Accept that , yes, you may/probably do have limitations, in some or even many areas of your life, but there ARE things you can do to live life to your fullest...and who knows?  You just might become that lawyer, doctor, mom or dad, ...... you may just be able to get dressed in the morning, cook something for yourself, drive a car... there are endless possibilities and each little step is a step toward successful living with this mental illness.  More on how to effectively manage your life as a schizophrenic to come...Thank you for taking the time to read this blog, If it helps just one person living with the illness, or one family cope, then I have done my job, and that is what this blog is all for.   For you, the reader, to get as much as you can oput of it, and maybe even learn a thing or two...and most of all to let you know you are not alone...:)

1 comment:

  1. I miss you so much mom rip Erica bohn publisher of this blog... Ily

    ReplyDelete