Monday, March 8, 2010

Religious experiences and connotations associated with Schizophrenia

There are many religious experiences that are ahared among those who have schizopherenia.  These religious experiences vary and range in many different areas of the religious experience.  There are those who claim to have some sort of divine connection with God, or that they are a messenger of God, or could be associated with some sort of semonom\logy or the devil as well.  I find this quite interesting because there must be a segment of the brain that is "turned on" sop to speak with those afflited with schizophrenia, becauase there are too many first hand accounts of these instances among the schizophrenia community.  In doing some research, I ahve also noticed that there seems to be a correlation between age, shcizophrenia, as well as religion.  It seems that at the timeframe of the onset of schizophrenia, for many, ias also a time when there is a seeking of higher attunement, or religion.  many who are afflicted are in the midst of questioning this issue, and the illness seems to take a turn to religious or spiritual nature.  I myself have experienced this, as well as countless others I have worked with that have schizophrenia.  So, then, what is the cause of this religious aspect of the schizophrenic brain?  Obviously, because research is still being done on the root cause of this illness, there is not much in the way of information regarding this issue.  Personally, I believe it has to do with certain neurons in the brain that are activated, or maybe even "over-activated" , "hyper-activated", during psychosis, when this experience is ofgten displayed outwardly by the schizophrenic. 
The point being, I have found that having schizophrenia has actually been a blessing in disguise, because, I too, was seeking what in the world is religion?  What do I believe? These questions raged in my mind, prior to the onset of schizophrenia.  And of course, there were some religious connotations involved within my psychosis period, and that is not surprising.Regadless of that fact, after I was settled with my illnesss, no longer in the psychosis stage, and consistently on medication, I became very stable.  I returned to this issue of religion, and am now firm in my beliefs, and I am sure that having schizophrenia has aided in my decisions toward my religious choice and path in life, and for that I am thankful.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thankyou for the rip for my mom she was a smart woman but was very ill . ..I miss her everyday and wish she was around to see me grow and so I could care for her as I was only 16 when she passed away .I know to you it's only a rip but to me your rip made me feel happy that people cared about her . Thankyou for that :)

      Delete
  2. I love u mom so much I miss seeing you and knowing your there for me .u were an amazing mom and always will b my role model. U mean the world to me and the whole family is still devistated that ur really gone...rip mommy I will never forget how much you have done for me your son eddie clarke...

    ReplyDelete