Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Yule was great yesterday..... However......

Well, today is Tuesday, the day after Yule (Winter Solstice) and I had a small celebration for the holiday.  It was nice, but not what I was hoping it would be.  Because of my paranoid schizophrenia, I suffer from soome cognitive isssues, as well as some other issues, as far as concentration and things like that (very similar to ADHD, of which I was previously diagnosed...now I wonder if it was early signs of my schizophrenia...) so I had a hard time with some of the rituals and things that I was doing.  However, next year will be better I am sure.  I am sure that there are many of you who have schizophrenia that suffer from some of these same symptoms, such as memory issues, lack of interest, lack of concentration at times, etc.  These are all "normal" symptoms and part and parcel of having schizophrenia.  I had a conversation with a very nice woman, who also has schizophrenia, paranoid type.  She and I talked about how we look through the blinds, lock the doors, and just the general stresses of having paranoia.  She was happy to not be alone in this feeling.  So am I, though I wish this illness on no one, it is nice to be able to share in the same feelings, understanding one another perfectly.
In  my day to day life, I come across many people living with schizophrenia.  Thatis because I make an effort to reach out to those living with mental illness.  It is rewarding.  I am happy that I am able to give people comfort as they cope with this diagnosis of schizophrenia.  Those of us who have had this illness for some time can understand that feeling when you first begin to live with the illness.  There is a great need to reach out to others for support, though many do not because of either fear, or they just are plain nervous to reach out.
Support is one of the most important aspects of the "recovery" process of living with schizophrenia, as it is a life-long illness.  For many, especially in the beginning, this is a real blow.  That is why it is so important to reach out or accept when someone is reaching out to you for support.  Living with the illness is not easy, for some it is nearly impossible, and yet for others it is not so bad.  There are many support groups available online, and also there are many around the world, depending on where you live. Some more populous places will have more support groups, but it is up to us to seek them out. NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) has support(peer to peer) groups, in just about every area of the United States.  Check their website, http://www.nami.org/, for your local state, city, and chapter.  There are also other groups available as well, you just have to do a little research.  This may be difficult if you are experiencing symptoms that are very prevalent, so ask someone close to you for assistance.
It is vital to have the support of your family, should you have the luxury of having a family, and it is also vital that they are educated about schizophrenia.  I hope everyone reading this has at least one family member who is of great support. 
I also want to extend out my hand to those who are in need of support...please contact me if you need support, want to talk, or have any questions regarding schizophrenia.  Please contact ebohn72@yahoo.com if you have any questions or comments.  Also, please visit me on Facebook, and join the groups: Schizophrenia Online Connection and Listen To Me!.... Thank you for your continued support, and please keep reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment